New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
How many times do you visit Sanitation Updates per month?
- Forum will be offline for maintenance and upgrading this Thursday 27 May for 24 hours! - by: muench April 28, 2017Thanks for reporting this bug, Hajo. Steffen has fixed it now. Please try it out again, it works now. Another option for search is the "site search" which you can access from the top black menu bar (under "Search & navigation"). Site search is based on Google's algorithm for ranking and might be useful when you have a large numbe […]
- Lavan Kumar K, the Forum's 1000th member from India - now featured user - by: arno April 28, 2017Lavan Kumar Kokkonda of Amaravati Development Corporation near Hyderbad became the Forum’s 1000th member from India. It is India that remains the largest source of Forum members – now running at 1078. forum.susana.org/forum/statistics?statsview=2 See below Lavan’s answers to the questions we asked of him. 1. You registered with SuSanA on 8 Dec 2016. What mad […]
- Topic 2: How do we collect, validate and disseminate case studies? - by: aprajitasingh April 28, 2017I am a Senior Specialist- Advocacy and Knowledge Management, with Population Services International (PSI), India. Since 2012 PSI India has been implementing the Supporting Sustainable Sanitation Improvements (3SI) project in Bihar, with funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and Unilever. This program is currently scaling its models across […]
- OPEN CALL: Evaluation of RWSN - Call for proposals (ENGLISH ONLY) - by: SeanFurey April 28, 2017Dear Colleagues 2017 marks the 25th Anniversary of the founding of the Handpump Technology Network (HTN), which became RWSN in 2006, under the leadership of the late Piers Cross. We are also coming to the end of the current three year strategy period (2015-2017), so during this year we will be developing a new strategy – and be looking for your inputs. Howev […]
- How to deal with trash in pits - TRASH EXCLUSION - by: muench April 28, 2017I look forward to reading more from Francis about this here on the Forum, too (thanks for posting your paper here, Francis!). I had a look at the FSM4 Conference page within SuSanA and found his presentation here: www.susana.org/en/resources/conference-m...-india-february-2017 If you use the ctrl+F function and search for "exclusion" you find it he […]
- Forum will be offline for maintenance and upgrading this Thursday 27 May for 24 hours! - by: muench April 28, 2017