New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
What type of content is most useful for you?
- Shared Sanitation - by: F H Mughal October 21, 2017Shared Sanitation Experts, like Barbara Evans, Andrés Hueso, Richard Johnston, Guy Norman, Eddy Pérez, Tom Slaymaker and Sophie Trémolet (formerly of Tremolet Consulting, now in World Bank), have written a editorial titled: Editorial: Limited services? The role of shared sanitation in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. They have urged the policymak […]
- Can Sanitation be Improved by “Trees?” - by: F H Mughal October 21, 2017Can Sanitation be Improved by “Trees?” Despite great strides in improving access to water and sanitation, some 3 in 10 people worldwide, or 2.1 billion, lack access to safe, readily available water at home, and 6 in 10, or 4.5 billion, lack safely managed sanitation, according to a new report by WHO and UNICEF (Progress on drinking water, sanitation and hygi […]
- Municipal Online Technical Tools - by: F H Mughal October 21, 2017Details like how they operate; are they beneficial; public perceptions for this mechanisms; how effective they are in solving municipal problems (overflowing manholes, sewers' clogging, and disposal of sludge (this is common nuisance here) ; and possibly, a comparative analyses of the various systems. F H Mughal
- Municipal Online Technical Tools - by: JKMakowka October 21, 2017Could you rephrase you question? What kind of details do you want? Without having looked into the details, these kind of software solutions are likely fairly standard issue trackers but with a nice easy to use mobile app that allows uploading geo-referenced pictures as attachments to the issues.
- When you hear the term "dry toilet" or "dry sanitation": does that include a pit latrine in your mind or not? - by: swoolley October 21, 2017Hi Elisabeth, My thoughts are as follows with the disclaimer that the terminology I use is native to South Africa. The brief version of the point I'd like to add is that a dry toilet and dry sanitation mean two very different things to me and my terminology. "Dry sanitation" and "dry toilets" are not the same thing in my understandin […]
- Shared Sanitation - by: F H Mughal October 21, 2017