This issue contains some of the latest news and announcements about the role of entrepreneurs in providing water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) and household energy products and services. This includes several winners of the Social Entrepreneurs 2012 award by the Schwab Foundation and USAID support for commercializing hand washing and establishing markets for cookstoves in Haiti. Also included is a link to cookstove market assessments by the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, which provide suggestions for removing barriers that prevent the creation of a cookstove market for more than 20 countries.
- Sex-Segregated Toilets - by: JKMakowka December 11, 2017What about the khwaja sara (third gender) in Pakistan? But overall, this is a bit of a non-topic as toilet cubicles are inherently gender-neutral and you can just add some male-only urinals in a separate place, to make the cueing time for everyone (regardless of gender) a bit shorter.
- Sex-Segregated Toilets - by: F H Mughal December 11, 2017Sex-Segregated Toilets A recent post by Maitreyi Bordia Dan on the tyranny of toilets ( blogs.worldbank.org/water/tyranny-toilets ), speaks of sex-segregated toilets. In Muslim areas, the toilets for male and female are separate. Maitreyi, author of The Rising Tide – A New Look at Water and Gender, a interesting and useful publication, available at: openknow […]
- Policy analysis and research support in fecal waste management (FWM) in East Africa - by: DennisW December 11, 2017Dear Mwangi, that is an interesting and really useful project you are working on! Thanks for sharing this information. BORDA Africa with support from UNEP and UN-HABITAT is working on a project in Tanzania titled "Demonstration of decentralised wastewater projects in non-sewered areas of Dar es Salaam". A project factsheet is attached. The 3 output […]
- Rural Sanitation Governance in India - any relevant studies or cases? - by: magdalenabauer December 11, 2017Dear all, I am writing a thesis on rural sanitation in India with a focus on the governance, in special the state capacity the state bodies have in sanitation. I am interested in the role of the state and its capabilities towards sanitation in the rural areas in India. I am coming form a perspective of political science, where in the research on governance, […]
- Wikipedia page on FSM - by: isabelblackett December 11, 2017Thanks to Dave and Elisabeth for getting a faecal sludge management page up and running on Wikipedia. See here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_sludge_management I've recently done some editing and updating of the page, but am unable to complete it. Please get involved and join the editing effort. At present Dave and I may have infused a slightly South-East […]
- Sex-Segregated Toilets - by: JKMakowka December 11, 2017