For Global Handwashing Day 2012, this Weekly issue contains a literature review of 2012 handwashing studies that was compiled by the Global Public-Private Partnership on Handwashing. The review summarizes studies on the health impacts of handwashing, handwashing behavior, hand contamination and provides recommendations for implementers of handwashing programs.
What sanitation topics you are interested in?
- Re: Sanitation for the Homeless in the US - by: F H Mughal December 8, 2016Dear Carol, That is an interesting information, you shared, along with the links to the articles. I'm, still, unable to digest the heading: "71% Of SF Homeless Once Had Homes In SF." How come? SF is a nice city. Listen to the song: San Francisco by Scott Mackenzie. Just one point: Are there research papers on the topic that you can share? Kind […]
- Re: How can companies incentivise sanitation - by: sandhyat December 8, 2016Hi Everyone, Thank you for your responses. The example of the engineering firm that used two departments to address sanitation issue is a client of Samhita's and a project that we worked on with them. The engineering firm's employees (engineers) who worked on building and constructing the toilets- their work was considered as volunteering and their […]
- Re: small biogas system linked with CHP to produce electricity - by: Marijn Zandee December 8, 2016Dear Wini, To add to what Kris mentioned above. I would guess that from public latrines you could have quite reasonable biogas output, if they are used by something like 200 people per day or more. However, I would advise not to go for electrification. The amount of gas you are likely to produce will only allow to use fairly small generators (rough guess is […]
- Re: Sanitation for the Homeless in the US - by: Carol McCreary December 8, 2016Hi, It’s great to see this discussion of toilets for unhoused urban Americans. Developing one or more appropriate technologies which can prove successful will require the experience of people around the world. US cities have had networked sewers for more than a century. They are path dependent on technologies that crushingly expensive and hurt the environmen […]
- Re: small biogas system linked with CHP to produce electricity - by: JKMakowka December 8, 2016There has been some success using plugflow plastic bag digesters, coupled to small generators. There are some Chinese made ones specifically adapted for running on pure biogas, but often it is easier to use one that starts with petrol and just substitute part of the fuel with a biogas injection. However my honest recommendation is to not even try... all thes […]
- Re: Sanitation for the Homeless in the US - by: F H Mughal December 8, 2016
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites