For Global Handwashing Day 2012, this Weekly issue contains a literature review of 2012 handwashing studies that was compiled by the Global Public-Private Partnership on Handwashing. The review summarizes studies on the health impacts of handwashing, handwashing behavior, hand contamination and provides recommendations for implementers of handwashing programs.
- Canada’s Challenges and Opportunities to Address Contaminants in Wastewater - by: F H Mughal May 25, 2018A interesting doctoral dissertation is available at aaltodoc.aalto.fi/handle/123456789/30720 which, I'm sure Ms Christene would love to read. The title is Wastewater treatment plants as pathways of microlitter to the aquatic environment, and it is by Julia Talvite. On a lighter note, Julia says in preface (last 3 lines), while thanking her husband: Not […]
- Canada’s Challenges and Opportunities to Address Contaminants in Wastewater - by: muench May 25, 2018Great responses, Christene! How come you know so much about this? Was it part of your Masters thesis perhaps? Mughal: I would guess that membrane filtration would remove microplastics from wastewater. So membrane bioractors could be a suitable technology (see: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Membrane_bioreactor ). But it's expensive of course. The more advanced t […]
- ANSI Calls on Expert Stakeholders to Participate in ISO Project Committee 318 on Community-Scale Resource-Oriented Sanitation Systems - by: muench May 25, 2018Dear Kimberly, I think the ISO standard that ANSI wants to develop called "Community-Scale Resource-Oriented Sanitation Systems" would eventually benefit anyone who needs this kind of sanitation solution. So yes, potentially also homeless people in the US. Better ISO standards would hopefully lead to better products (better toilets). We have two pr […]
- Are public toilets inclusive of transgender and intersex people? - by: muench May 25, 2018Thanks for your inputs, Connie and Carol. I am learning a lot! I am now trying to convert what you said into "Wikipedia langage" and include it in the article or change existing wording. Not easy... Conny, about this part:As it currently stands I don't think this is the case in the Wikipedia article, e.g. right at the beginning of the Wikipedi […]
- Utility Business Model (Piloting the PTS in Laguna, Philippines) - by: cyrilerica May 25, 2018Hi Elisabeth, Thank you for your query. 1. We have started piloting the PTS way back in 2014 with the Clean Team Toilet, however, during our trial run they odor and waste mitigation process contributed to the process upset of our Sewage-Septage Treatment Plan (SSpTP). Toilet Board Coalition and one of its members, LIXIL, got in touch with us on developing a […]
- Canada’s Challenges and Opportunities to Address Contaminants in Wastewater - by: F H Mughal May 25, 2018