For Global Handwashing Day 2012, this Weekly issue contains a literature review of 2012 handwashing studies that was compiled by the Global Public-Private Partnership on Handwashing. The review summarizes studies on the health impacts of handwashing, handwashing behavior, hand contamination and provides recommendations for implementers of handwashing programs.
How many times do you visit Sanitation Updates per month?
- How do you get households to connect to existing sewer networks? - by: issantos May 25, 2017Dear Meleesa, Connections are called regular when the following four conditions are identified, according to Brazil's national and local legislation: 1 - Sewage effluents are being layed in public sewage system; 2 - Rainwater is not been layed in public sewage system; 3 - Household is not using a septic tank; 4 - Household has a grease tank (trap) accor […]
- How do you get households to connect to existing sewer networks? - by: meleesa May 25, 2017Thank you Daniel, this is interesting. Indeed conventional sewerage is not developed in many cities. We also saw that in some cases, when it was developed in some residential districts a few decades ago for instance in Yaounde, the system was not managed sustainably and people actually ended up disconnecting from the sewerage network because it wasn't w […]
- How do you get households to connect to existing sewer networks? - by: meleesa May 25, 2017Thank you Igor for this details example. The post-construction verification is an interesting aspect in this program. Are the irregularities mostly technical, or of another nature (illegal connections)? And is the user penalized in case of irregularities (and if so, how?) We have quite a few good examples from Brasil, including in Espiritu Santo and Sao Paul […]
- Sphere revisions; The deadline is looming! - by: jonpar May 25, 2017Dear SuSanA members who are working in the humanitarian sector with a focus on disaster risk reduction, emergency preparedness and response, Attached are the 2 standards that are probably of most relevance to SuSanA community; namely : i) Excreta management standards; and ii) WASH Hygiene standards There are also other standards that many of us will be inter […]
- A public urinal for women that is also a beautiful flowering garden - by: canaday May 25, 2017Dear Lucas, Thank you for these questions, which I will answer below and hopefully resolve any doubts. 1) Would location be a problem?. How far would this women's urinal have to be from for instance a restaurant or a bus terminal? It could be right next to a restaurant or in an open space within a bus station, since there would be no smell and there jus […]
- How do you get households to connect to existing sewer networks? - by: issantos May 25, 2017