For Global Handwashing Day 2012, this Weekly issue contains a literature review of 2012 handwashing studies that was compiled by the Global Public-Private Partnership on Handwashing. The review summarizes studies on the health impacts of handwashing, handwashing behavior, hand contamination and provides recommendations for implementers of handwashing programs.
- Introducing International Training Network from Bangladesh: A new partner organisation of SuSanA - by: ainulfirdatun May 23, 2018Dear Rakib Ahmed, I read on the ITN-BUET website about one of ITN's ongoing projects on SanMark-CITY: Intelligent Design in Urban Sanitation Marketing. Could you share with us here the progress/result of the project? What are the main challenges you (and your team) faced during the project? Is there any spesific reason in choosing the spesific toilet te […]
- IHE's results from BMGF Capacity Building Projects I - SANIUP - by: muench May 23, 2018Dear Mariska, Thanks for making us aware of the SANIUP website. It looks very pretty, impressive and interesting! Would it be wortwhile (and in your interest) to also include the "creations" from this project in the SuSanA library? I mean the items that you put here: saniup.org/creations/ The project generated 20 doctoral and 58 master theses and i […]
- A New Technique to Purify River Water for Use in Rural Communities - by: varkey May 23, 2018Thank you. Once seed powder is used up, it should be thrown away along with the residual and replaced with fresh ones because during coagulation the seed particles (more specifically the proteins, MOCP) attract dirt from raw water (an electrostatic phenomenon), get clogged and settle down. It cannot be re-sued. At the rate of 0.25 g /L, 5 L raw water needs 1 […]
- Emptying of cesspit (holding tank) - by: muench May 23, 2018Dear Hajo, Yes, that's my job as moderator (and I enjoy doing it) - every post that deserves an answer or a reaction should get one! Often, once a post has received its first reply then it will get more replies. And your posts are always worth replying to! I still can't picture what type of toilet we are talking about: Is it like a pit latrine, exc […]
- A New Technique to Purify River Water for Use in Rural Communities - by: F H Mughal May 23, 2018Thank you for your enlightened reply. How to know when to replace the seeds. In poor household settings, labs are not available to test the water quality. They go by the thumb rule, say, for example, replace the seeds once a month at 5 liters/day flow rate, or its equivalent (roughly). Regards, F H Mughal
- Introducing International Training Network from Bangladesh: A new partner organisation of SuSanA - by: ainulfirdatun May 23, 2018