For Global Handwashing Day 2012, this Weekly issue contains a literature review of 2012 handwashing studies that was compiled by the Global Public-Private Partnership on Handwashing. The review summarizes studies on the health impacts of handwashing, handwashing behavior, hand contamination and provides recommendations for implementers of handwashing programs.
- Menstrual Hygiene in Schools - by: DianeKellogg March 24, 2018Biodegradable pads are being made in over 40 "mini-factories" in India, and 4 or so in East Africa. Women are trained to use a hand-operated machine and to source compostable materials locally. The machine was designed by Aakar Innovations in India. aakarinnovations.com/ I would also refer you to People's Dialogue in Ghana, as for about a year […]
- Looking for implementing partners and funds to trial 'Poop-chart' to increase take-up of water purification tablets - by: muench March 23, 2018Dear Akib, This sounds very interesting! I love it when health messages and sanitation messages go hand in hand and ask for the same type of behaviour change in an integrated way (e.g. handwashing or drinking water treatment tablets). Please tell us a bit more what you are looking for? What kind of partnering do you have in mind and in which countries? you s […]
- Methane Gas Explosion at Kansas City Wastewater Treatment Plant - by: muench March 23, 2018Dear Peter, Thanks a lot for your comment which I agree with. Generalisations are indeed dangerous! At the same time I know that Mughal didn't mean it in a nasty. I think he was referring to general differences in workplace health and safety enforcement standards, which do exist between different countries. And I think he was mainly expressing his surpr […]
- Sustainable Waterless Sanitation and Waste Management Solutions - South Africa - by: muench March 23, 2018Dear Henriette, Thanks for your forum post. You said: "We are a very small self-funded company in South Africa who believes in a "waste to value product" principle - especially in an African context/ environment." I'd like to invite you to use the forum to tell us more about your work. At present, your post or forum profile contains […]
- Introducing Real Relief from Denmark: A new partner organisation of SuSanA - by: secretariat March 23, 2018We would like to welcome Real Relief from Denmark as a new SuSanA partner organisation! The following text is taken from their application form and was written by the partner organisation themselves. Description and Activities in Sustainable Sanitation: Real Relief supplies a large variety of relief items. We are determined to do our part in the on-going cha […]
- Menstrual Hygiene in Schools - by: DianeKellogg March 24, 2018