For Global Handwashing Day 2012, this Weekly issue contains a literature review of 2012 handwashing studies that was compiled by the Global Public-Private Partnership on Handwashing. The review summarizes studies on the health impacts of handwashing, handwashing behavior, hand contamination and provides recommendations for implementers of handwashing programs.
- Sex-Segregated Toilets - by: JKMakowka December 11, 2017What about the khwaja sara (third gender) in Pakistan? But overall, this is a bit of a non-topic as toilet cubicles are inherently gender-neutral and you can just add some male-only urinals in a separate place, to make the cueing time for everyone (regardless of gender) a bit shorter.
- Sex-Segregated Toilets - by: F H Mughal December 11, 2017Sex-Segregated Toilets A recent post by Maitreyi Bordia Dan on the tyranny of toilets ( blogs.worldbank.org/water/tyranny-toilets ), speaks of sex-segregated toilets. In Muslim areas, the toilets for male and female are separate. Maitreyi, author of The Rising Tide – A New Look at Water and Gender, a interesting and useful publication, available at: openknow […]
- Policy analysis and research support in fecal waste management (FWM) in East Africa - by: DennisW December 11, 2017Dear Mwangi, that is an interesting and really useful project you are working on! Thanks for sharing this information. BORDA Africa with support from UNEP and UN-HABITAT is working on a project in Tanzania titled "Demonstration of decentralised wastewater projects in non-sewered areas of Dar es Salaam". A project factsheet is attached. The 3 output […]
- Rural Sanitation Governance in India - any relevant studies or cases? - by: magdalenabauer December 11, 2017Dear all, I am writing a thesis on rural sanitation in India with a focus on the governance, in special the state capacity the state bodies have in sanitation. I am interested in the role of the state and its capabilities towards sanitation in the rural areas in India. I am coming form a perspective of political science, where in the research on governance, […]
- Wikipedia page on FSM - by: isabelblackett December 11, 2017Thanks to Dave and Elisabeth for getting a faecal sludge management page up and running on Wikipedia. See here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_sludge_management I've recently done some editing and updating of the page, but am unable to complete it. Please get involved and join the editing effort. At present Dave and I may have infused a slightly South-East […]
- Sex-Segregated Toilets - by: JKMakowka December 11, 2017