For Global Handwashing Day 2012, this Weekly issue contains a literature review of 2012 handwashing studies that was compiled by the Global Public-Private Partnership on Handwashing. The review summarizes studies on the health impacts of handwashing, handwashing behavior, hand contamination and provides recommendations for implementers of handwashing programs.
- Excreta disinfection - by: muench May 24, 2018Dear Mughal, This book chapter (in open access format) - which is linked to from the GWPP newsletter - might answer some of your questions, I think: www.waterpathogens.org/book/emergency-response It gives some examples for disinfection in emergency responses for the diseases of Ebola and Cholera. E.g. it says: two novel in situ treatment/disinfectant systems […]
- SANIRESCH - New Integrated Content on the SuSanA Website - by: muench May 24, 2018Dear Ainul, Thanks for this, it's a good move to integrate that content so that it can be found from within the SuSanA library in future. In hindsight, I wonder if it was worth the effort to set up a separate website for the 3-year SANIRESCH project (I was at the time at GIZ when this project was carried out by Martina Winker who was in my team). I reme […]
- Utility Business Model (Piloting the PTS in Laguna, Philippines) - by: muench May 24, 2018Dear Cyril! Welcome to this discussion forum! What prompted you to make this post here? Very interesting report. May I ask some small questions: - Why did you choose these two particular portable toilet types - Lixil and Loowatt? What kind of pre-selection was done, why not others, too? - I couldn't figure out what the Lixil toilet looks like, there was […]
- Emptying of cesspit (holding tank) - by: muench May 24, 2018The toilet that you are describing sounds like an aqua privy to me (strange name, isn't it). They've become very rare and are not even included in the Eawag Compendium ( www.eawag.ch/en/department/sandec/publikationen/compendium/ ) - or actually they'd probably call it, like you, dry toilet connected to holding tank. Wikipedia has this informa […]
- New group handwashing device - by: janschlenk May 24, 2018Dear Colleagues, whoever is interested to get a deeper insight in the features of the above mentioned group-handwashing device, the WASHaLOT 3.0, might have a look at a Webinar on its development and technical applicability assessment which was held on May 23 and is now uploaded here in the SuSanA Library. Both the recorded webinar on the WASHaLOT 3.0 presen […]
- Excreta disinfection - by: muench May 24, 2018