For Global Handwashing Day 2012, this Weekly issue contains a literature review of 2012 handwashing studies that was compiled by the Global Public-Private Partnership on Handwashing. The review summarizes studies on the health impacts of handwashing, handwashing behavior, hand contamination and provides recommendations for implementers of handwashing programs.
- Solar treatment of feces? - by: dandreatta February 24, 2018And just a side note, most of the data for pathogen die off gives time temperature values with a constant temperature. It is possible to take this data and turn it into a mathematical model with varying temperature, perhaps on some daily pattern, warm in the day and not so warm at night. The mathematics are a bit involved so I won't get into them here, […]
- Social Accountability in Water and Sanitation - by: F H Mughal February 24, 2018Social Accountability in Water and Sanitation I was looking at the aspect of social accountability in the field of water and sanitation. But, what is social accountability? Sara Ahrari, Senior Programme Officer, WASH Asia, gives this definition: “Social accountability is an approach that refers to the extent and capacity of citizens to hold the state and ser […]
- Twin pit pour flush latrines in India - is it timely to call into question the design and operating principles? - by: goeco February 24, 2018I'm not yet ready to let this subject lie unresolved, with so many pits continuing to be constructed. What a big mistake. I will reiterate what I have been saying and add a diagram. Before that however, I'll quote from a BGS report (thanks @stevensugden ): Open defecation is practised by over 600 million people in India and there is a strong politi […]
- Depicting Poor Sanitation as Monster - by: F H Mughal February 24, 2018One website, Atlas Obscura - www.atlasobscura.com/articles/your-clima...ge-monsters-revealed - has shown climate change in the shape of animated monsters. This is, of course, to draw readers' attention to the menace of climate change - pretty interesting! Does a similar thing exist for poor sanitation? If not, then, I request WaterAid to kindly develop […]
- Poor Sanitation Also Affects Animals - by: F H Mughal February 23, 2018Poor Sanitation Also Affects Animals Human beings are badly impacted by poor sanitation. Overflowing gutters, broken manholes with sewage oozing out, sewage discharge in depressions and on vacant lands create unhygienic conditions. Not only people in developing countries are affected, people living in developed countries also suffer due to poor sanitation. I […]
- Solar treatment of feces? - by: dandreatta February 24, 2018