For Global Handwashing Day 2012, this Weekly issue contains a literature review of 2012 handwashing studies that was compiled by the Global Public-Private Partnership on Handwashing. The review summarizes studies on the health impacts of handwashing, handwashing behavior, hand contamination and provides recommendations for implementers of handwashing programs.
- Up-scaling Basic Sanitation for the Urban Poor in Kenya (UBSUP) (Water Services Trust Fund and GIZ, Kenya) - by: muench March 22, 2018Very nice video about UBSUP, thanks for posting, Alex! Just a small question: The first post of this thread gave the time line for UBSUP with these start and end dates: Start and end date: For GIZ part: Start : 6/30/2011; End 6/30/2017 - and for WSTF part: Start : 6/22/2011; End 5/14/2016 Does that mean UBSUP already finished last year or did you get an exte […]
- Effect of intermittent flow in Anaerobic Baffled Reactor - by: muench March 22, 2018I think it depends on the hydraulic residence time of the ABR (the longer, the more "buffered"), but in general it is probably not that good to have such intermittent flows. It might reduce the effluent quality. Maybe you need a buffer tank before the ABR. Is the ABR at an institution or why is the flow so intermittent? Are you going to try it out? […]
- Impact of Poor Sanitation on the Height of Children - by: muench March 22, 2018The data in those JMP reports is mainly from household surveys. The results of these surveys are reported by the national governments to JMP. See Annex 1 of the JMP 2017 report here: washdata.org/reports ("Progress on drinking water, sanitation and hygiene: 2017 update and SDG baselines"), or direct link to pdf here: washdata.org/sites/default/file […]
- LCA Study: Technology choices in scaling up sanitation can significantly affect greenhouse gas emissions and food security in India - by: muench March 22, 2018Dear Michal, Thanks for posting your paper here. Do you perhaps have a powerpoint presentation to go with it which you could share (since the paper itself is behind a paywall?). The abstract includes two statements that are not new to us here on this forum but it's always good to have scientific data and evidence for it! - Closing the sanitation gap thr […]
- Low cost secondary treatment of household wastewater using vermifiltration - by: goeco March 21, 2018Hi Kris, the worms don't need solids in the wastewater at all, indeed their preference is to graze the biofilm (bacterial slime) that grows on the media. All that is required is water with a high BOD... which is what is provided. The (aerobic) media provides a huge surface area for the biofilm to grow on and the water is rich in dissolved and suspended […]
- Up-scaling Basic Sanitation for the Urban Poor in Kenya (UBSUP) (Water Services Trust Fund and GIZ, Kenya) - by: muench March 22, 2018