For Global Handwashing Day 2012, this Weekly issue contains a literature review of 2012 handwashing studies that was compiled by the Global Public-Private Partnership on Handwashing. The review summarizes studies on the health impacts of handwashing, handwashing behavior, hand contamination and provides recommendations for implementers of handwashing programs.
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: phreymon January 20, 2018Hi Dean, You make me (us) very curious about the potential of vermifilters. I have the following questions: (i) it is just a filter: how does it deal with 100 L wastewater per person per day? And how can the pathogens and nutrients be retained?; (ii) what do you do with the effluent? In my understanding, the pathogen removal is rather low; (iii) I think that […]
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: BPopov January 20, 2018Thanks Dean! Ukraine is a huge country with highly variable climate and other condtions. High ground water level is very common in many places both for natural and anthropogenic reasons. The water table gets highest level usually in spring after snow melt and in autumn after rains. In some places it drops down a in the middle of the winter , in some places i […]
- Why People Defecate Outdoors in India? - by: F H Mughal January 20, 2018Why People Defecate Outdoors in India? Recently, a very information piece of Elizabeth Royte appeared in National Geographic, on open www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017...-d48173d903-65845477 defecation in India. The article contains useful information, with some bold pictures. Briefly, Elisabeth says that while the open defecation is on the decline wo […]
- Two Types of Wastewater Conveyance Systems - by: F H Mughal January 20, 2018Two Types of Wastewater Conveyance Systems Back in 1960s, in almost all towns in Sindh, Pakistan, we have small open channels (called in Sindhi language as “nallies”) for the conveyance of wastewater from homes. These nallies (30 cm wide and 30 cm height) are cleaned by the sweepers (both males and females) early in the morning, every day. A small trolley wo […]
- Definition of Terms - by: F H Mughal January 20, 2018Definition of Terms I'm looking for official definition of terms: rural areas; urban areas; rural sanitation; and urban sanitation. With "official," I mean definitions by JPM (WHO-UNICEF); UNEP; UNHABITAT; UNESCAP; The World Bank; The Asian Development Bank; and WaterAid. Can anyone help me, please. F H Mughal
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: phreymon January 20, 2018