For Global Handwashing Day 2012, this Weekly issue contains a literature review of 2012 handwashing studies that was compiled by the Global Public-Private Partnership on Handwashing. The review summarizes studies on the health impacts of handwashing, handwashing behavior, hand contamination and provides recommendations for implementers of handwashing programs.
- Vermi-Trickling Filters (or vermifilters) for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: goeco February 24, 2018Hi Bogdan, I have to say my preference for settling tanks in series stands in preference to cartridge filters, because filters don't tend to be maintained by users and can affect the reliability of the whole system. Maintenance of settling tanks is minimal, perhaps 5 yearly intervals pumping sediment back to the primary vermidigester. Also keep in mind […]
- Solar treatment of feces? - by: Tore February 24, 2018Please let me know when it is available. Suggestion is also to look at temperature fluctuations and if it stresses the Ascaris and causes quicker die off. ie When temperatures get hot during the day and cool off at night, does that help in the elimination of the Ascaris. Another is to be able to define how long it needs to be exposed to certain temperatures […]
- Solar treatment of feces? - by: dandreatta February 24, 2018And just a side note, most of the data for pathogen die off gives time temperature values with a constant temperature. It is possible to take this data and turn it into a mathematical model with varying temperature, perhaps on some daily pattern, warm in the day and not so warm at night. The mathematics are a bit involved so I won't get into them here, […]
- Social Accountability in Water and Sanitation - by: F H Mughal February 24, 2018Social Accountability in Water and Sanitation I was looking at the aspect of social accountability in the field of water and sanitation. But, what is social accountability? Sara Ahrari, Senior Programme Officer, WASH Asia, gives this definition: “Social accountability is an approach that refers to the extent and capacity of citizens to hold the state and ser […]
- Twin pit pour flush latrines in India - is it timely to call into question the design and operating principles? - by: goeco February 24, 2018I'm not yet ready to let this subject lie unresolved, with so many pits continuing to be constructed. What a big mistake. I will reiterate what I have been saying and add a diagram. Before that however, I'll quote from a BGS report (thanks @stevensugden ): Open defecation is practised by over 600 million people in India and there is a strong politi […]
- Vermi-Trickling Filters (or vermifilters) for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: goeco February 24, 2018