- Re: UDDT versus Pour Flush (with vermi-composting) versus ???: which are sustainable sanitation technologies and systems for peri-urban areas in Africa? - by: hajo July 30, 2016Dear Dean, I expressed in my previous post (11.4) the expectation that the vermi-composting would reduce the emptying cycle of the pour flush twin pits from 2 years to up to 5 years. So there we agree. Soaking away urine, black water or grey water takes place with most of the on-site systems which are currently in use here: pit latrines soak away urine; (pou […]
- Re: What do we know about odorous gases from composting toilets (or from composting in general)? - by: goeco July 30, 2016Both humus and compost are derived from organic matter. For our purposes, humus could be defined as having less "active" carbon than compost. It still contains organic C but this C is more stable (something to do with half-lives and mineralisation rates of soil organic carbon) and because humus isn't a ready food source for organisms to respir […]
- Re: UDDT versus Pour Flush (with vermi-composting) versus ???: which are sustainable sanitation technologies and systems for peri-urban areas in Africa? - by: goeco July 30, 2016Hajo, certainly worms will significantly reduce the bulk of the feces, which drying alone will not do. You'll definately use more water if vermicomposting the waste, so having a good soakaway is imperative. This means more care with water tables than if the liquid was only urine. That said, I doubt that percolating urine into the ground next to toilets, […]
- Re: On the way to a “clean India” – 2 years of Swacch Bharat Mission (Gramin) - by: udayshankar July 30, 2016Dear Nitya, Congrats Nitya. Good to see the FIRST discussion on board. Wish you and your team all the best. I have been a member of Susana for quite some time now and I feel proud of being a part of the India Chapter as well. We need to tread a long path towards ODF and it is a great challenge. I have always been happy to be a part of this great effort. My b […]
- Sludge Dipping Tools Recently Developed - by: dandreatta July 29, 2016I've recently developed a series of 4 sludge dipping tools, useful for getting thin sludge out of pits. They are simple buckets and tubes on handles and ropes, and they are unaffected by trash in the pit. They were designed to keep the pit emptier clean. The best way to learn about the devices is to look at my video: If the video is not available or can […]
- Re: UDDT versus Pour Flush (with vermi-composting) versus ???: which are sustainable sanitation technologies and systems for peri-urban areas in Africa? - by: hajo July 30, 2016
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites