From Katie Carroll of the Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing
Many of you are aware that the current Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) will be ending in 2015. Over the past two years, the United Nations and its partners have started a process to develop a post-2015 development plan. The Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing (PPPHW) encourages you to take a few simple steps in January and February to advocate for handwashing and hygiene, along with broader WASH (water, sanitation, and hygiene) goals to be included in this post-2015 plan.
What You Can Do Today
The UN has set up a process called The World We Want ( to allow people all over the world to contribute their input into the post-2015 development plan. The consultative process includes the creation of a High Level Panel, over 50 national and thematic consultations, community-based discussions and a Global Online Conversation, all of which will contribute to a vision for The World We Want beyond 2015. The UN has organized the online consultations into 11 thematic areas:
- Growth and Employment
- Conflict and Fragility
- Food Security and Nutrition, Energy
- Water – http://www.worldwewant2015.org/water
- Environmental Sustainability
- Population Dynamics
Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) is included under the “water” theme as one of three sub-consultations. Starting now through February, The World We Want website is accepting online input into the post-2015 plans.Trends and topics contributed by the public through the online consultations will be shared with those who are developing the draft post-2015 plan. This is a unique opportunity to make sure handwashing and WASH are included in the post-2015 targets.
Step 1: – Register at the website – http://www.worldwewant2015.org/
Step 2: Visit the “water” consultation page, http://www.worldwewant2015.org/water to add your comments, videos, data, etc. to support the inclusion of WASH in the post-2015 targets/indicators and overall plan. Specific actions you can take include:
Promote the JMP’s draft proposal for drinking water, sanitation, and hygiene targets and indicators. This proposal is still being finalized, but you can encourage the post-2015 decision makers to include these WASH targets and indicators in the post-2015 plan now through the online consultation. All the detailed proposed targets and indicators are in the attached document, but the summary targets are:
- Everyone has water, sanitation and hygiene at home
- All schools and health centres have water, sanitation and hygiene
- Water, sanitation and hygiene are equitable and sustainable
- Comment: interact and comment directly on the webpage, http://www.worldwewant2015.org/water
- Twitter: Tweet news; share views on twitter. The Twitter account @WaterPost2015 has been created; interested parties are encouraged to use the hashtag #waterpost2015.
- Facebook: read news, post news, state views. The Facebook group WaterPost2015 has been created.
- Videos/YouTube clips: suggest existing water related videos/YouTube clips to inform or inspire discussions (professional or amateur videos) or provide a new one.
- Links to other sources and web-pages: suggest links to other relevant sources and web-pages, blogs that can create awareness about the water consultation.