On World WaterDay, 22 March, the World Bank announced the Top 10 Finalists of the Sanitation Hackathon App Challenge. The challenge is a follow-up to the Sanitation Hackathon, which attracted over 1,100 developers in December 2012 to solve sanitation problems.
The Top 10 Finalists apps are:
- Empowering Girls monitors girls’ school attendance to track appropriate sanitation facilities.
- LION Sync provides decision-makers with access to real-time data online and offline.
- LooRewards promotes sanitary behavior by rewarding safe sanitation practices.
- mSchool monitors the status of water and sanitation infrastructure in schools.
- mSewage crowdsources the identification of open defecation sites and sewage outflows.
- San-Trac reminds users about hygienic practices and gathers real-time data for trend analysis (winner of the People’s Choice Award)
- Sanitation Investment Tracker tracks investment and expenditure in sanitation at the household level.
- SunClean teaches sanitary and hygienic behavior through games for children.
- Taarifa enables citizen reporting and tracks decision-makers’ feedback.
- Toilight finds toilets in a smart and easy way.
For more information on the apps click on the video links above or go here.
The Grand Prize Award winners will be announced on April 19, on the eve of the World Bank’s Spring Meetings.
Source: SanHack Team, SanitationHackathon.org, 22 Mar 2013