Substantial local government investment is essential for sustainable services, but difficult to achieve. Barriers include institutional lack of clarity over responsibilities (particularly in sanitation provision), weak capacity to collect and manage revenues, unpredictable transfers from national to local government, and a lack of data on past spending and its effectiveness. This Practice Note looks at some ways in which WSUP and Water For People are working to strengthen this link in the investment chain.
- Urine-ponics for urban agriculture - by: arno May 25, 2018Hello Francisco. It's good to hear from you after so many years. Are you still with SARAR? www.sarar-t.org/index.html I remember your work to store urine in soil producing the fermented product that you are using in the "urine-ponics". Please share with us more technical details. Reports even in Spanish will be good. Best wishes --Arno […]
- Are public toilets inclusive of transgender and intersex people? - by: Carol McCreary May 25, 2018Hi Elisabeth, Starting with the section "Design" the Wikipedia article "Unisex public toilet" looks good. The section on Portland seems accurate. The ordinance was passed in December 2015 and conversion of 600 city-owned direct-entry single toilet stalls in city parks started immediately. This interview with Anna Preble has photos of the […]
- SuSanA featured on SHHH: The Poopcast - by: ThePuru May 25, 2018Hi Elisabeth, Thanks so much for listening, and for writing! To your questions... It's hard to say whether there might be a better format; I don't get a lot of feedback from followers, though mostly it comes through email or in person. I would love to get more, and be able to generate more public conversations, like on social media. The podcast wit […]
- Canada’s Challenges and Opportunities to Address Contaminants in Wastewater - by: F H Mughal May 25, 2018Dear Ms Christene, That was an interesting brief background of your work. Moving on from microplastic (how do you define microplastic?) to just plastic, you must be aware that a plastic bag was found in Mariana Trench, 36,000 ft below the surface. Kindly see this link: weather.com/science/environment/video/ri...s-of-plastic-bottles Regards, F H Mughal […]
- A New Technique to Purify River Water for Use in Rural Communities - by: F H Mughal May 25, 2018Yes, if there is any research group working in this field here, I'll let you know. Thanks, F H Mughal
- Urine-ponics for urban agriculture - by: arno May 25, 2018