Substantial local government investment is essential for sustainable services, but difficult to achieve. Barriers include institutional lack of clarity over responsibilities (particularly in sanitation provision), weak capacity to collect and manage revenues, unpredictable transfers from national to local government, and a lack of data on past spending and its effectiveness. This Practice Note looks at some ways in which WSUP and Water For People are working to strengthen this link in the investment chain.
- Online Course for Faecal Sludge Management | free | enrolling now | starting 1 February 2018 - by: aimeesmith January 22, 2018Hello! Yes, there is a key note speech/video for each week. These give a better understanding of the content being presented.
- Definitions for the terms urban, small towns and rural? - by: muench January 22, 2018Dear Mughal, I've moved your post into this existing, related thread. Please scroll up and review the previous posts. They may not answer your question entirely but probably go part way. I am not sure if there is a clear cut JMP definition for it. Have you looked at e.g. that WASHwatch website, perhaps they have a definition there? ( washwatch.org/en/ ) […]
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: Decentral January 21, 2018Dear Bogdan, you have initiated a very interesting discussion and I would like to thank you. Regarding the size of the plots you have mentioned - it looks that on-site individual solutions will be more economically viable, compared to a centralized sewer, which collects settled wastewater after the septic tanks, because of the length of pipes which will be r […]
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: BPopov January 21, 2018Hi Dean! Most of Ukriane can expect 8 month above zero temperatures. Theoretically during this period surface discharge is possible and it can be extended for at least two more month if discharge would go under some insulating mulch layer further enhanced by snow layer on top. The infiltration would depend on soil type (sand or clay), how saturated it is fro […]
- What is the secret to SuSanA's success? - by: cecile January 21, 2018Dear all, I am personnally very satisfied with the level of participation of practitioners in the sense that my questions are usually answered by practioners very quickly and in a very professional way. If I remember well, one of the last questions I posted got 5 answers, from the usual very active persons but also from other or "new" members and I […]
- Online Course for Faecal Sludge Management | free | enrolling now | starting 1 February 2018 - by: aimeesmith January 22, 2018