The Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA) and GIZ together with Goethe Institute Max Müller, the Indian Institute for Cartoonists and EAWAG/Sandec invite creative minds to submit fun and striking ideas about toilets and sanitation in the form of Cartoons, Caricatures or Infographics that will create a humorous atmosphere around sanitation concerns. Because sanitation in India is still a taboo; the media doesn’t address the issue often enough and people feel uncomfortable talking about it, even though it’s an issue that concerns all of us – several times a day, every day. We are flexible with the entry’s format as long as it:
Surprises the silent majority and makes them laugh and talk about sanitation!
So what’s the cartoon competition all about?
- The idea is to have a cartoon competition on the topic of sanitation and toilets.
- The inspiration comes from the ‘Reinvented Toilets’ Programme by the Gates Foundation.
- The approach taken by the Cartoon-Competition is, however, one both smaller in scale and more abstract in style.
- The essence of the endeavour is to break the taboo that surrounds talking about sanitation and toilets in India with humor and laughter.
The deadline for submitting entries is Monday, 10 March, 2014 (midnight Indian Standard Time).
20 Cartoons, Caricatures and/or Infographics will be pre-selected and exhibited during the celebration of the World Water Day, 22 March in Jor Bagh, New Delhi. The five member pre-selection jury will consist of representatives of the organising and partner institutions:
- Three representatives from GIZ/SuSanA
- One representative from the Indian Institute of Cartoonists
- One representative from Max Mueller Bhavan
The event to award the winners will be held on 22 March, 2014 as part of the celebration of the World Water Day at GIZ-premises in New Delhi. During the celebration of the World Water Day, five outstanding works will be chosen by the guest in attendance voting for their favourite work. The five most favoured works will be awarded with:
- 1st Prize of ₹ 50,000
- 2nd Prize of ₹ 20,000
- 3rd , 4th and 5th prizes of ₹ 5.000 respectively.
If you too are excited by this idea, you are more than welcome to participate and to spread the word among friends and colleagues. You are also invited to share the cartoon competition in your blog, your homepage, facebook, twitter etc.