South Africa’s Equitable Share Formula is a mechanism for transfer of funds from central to local government, to support basic services including water and sanitation. This Finance Brief outlines how the system works, and reports on its use for water and sanitation. There are a number of problems with implementation of the Equitable Share in South Africa; however, we consider that the mechanism per se is good, and can be a useful model for other countries.
- Vermi-Trickling Filters (or vermifilters) for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: BPopov March 18, 2018Hi Ben! Thanks for sharing your practical experience! Do you think that 95 l bins used for collection are too small for vermicomposting right in them witout decanting to the bigger bin? Could you please share what kind of urine separtion interface do you have? Best, Bogdan
- Ecological Public Toilets for India? Is it possible? - by: DavidAlan March 18, 2018Hello Kevin, we have just built our 5,000th UDDT toilet in India. these are a mixture of family, community and schools. We have very good results with (of targeted users after three years) 95% of families, 90% community and 99% schools using their toilets. Our community toilets are a container based system. Yes, you have to train people, but this comes back […]
- Interested in urinals for females? Check out the new Wikipedia article - by: BPopov March 18, 2018Hello Elisabeth! Thanks for the link! It is interesting to learn female urinals appeared so long ago. The urine collecting for nutrient reuse is not highlighted though. Best, Bogdan
- Vermi-Trickling Filters (or vermifilters) for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: Benno March 18, 2018Hi Bogdan and Dean … We use a urine separating batch system that collects the solid contributions in either a 17 gallon / 65 liter or 25 gallon / 95 liter rectangular bin. When this bin fills, we decant it into a larger sequestering bin that has been adapted to have a vented false floor to maintain aerobic conditions at all depths. Because the urine has been […]
- Dirty Toilets and Poor Sanitation cause Blindness - Physically and Mentally - by: Hopeworks March 17, 2018Hello, Hopeworks Ghana would like to reach out to you for our first public ask for support to provide toilet facilities for the people of Swada in Obom in the Ga South Municipality in the Greater Accra, a village without a single toilet facility and considered as the most deprived amongst the villages in the Ga South Municipality in Greater Accra. Your suppo […]
- Vermi-Trickling Filters (or vermifilters) for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: BPopov March 18, 2018