In Madagascar’s capital Antananarivo (Tana), water bills include various surcharges designed to help finance water and sanitation. In recent years, Water & Sanitation for the Urban Poor (WSUP) has been working with local government and with the utility JIRAMA to optimise the use of these revenues to support water supply improvements in low-income communities. This brief describes how this interesting system works, and considers how it might be further developed.
- Where there are no sewers: The toilet cleaners of Lucknow, India - by: muhammadwaseem June 25, 2018Dear Elisabeth, Does that mean that you would not shake hands with a person who you know is classified as a Dalit if you met this person? Is it legal/acceptable for you not to do so or could the person protest and insist that he/she be treated like anyone else? Were you explaining a societal convention that some people follow and some people don't, or i […]
- Where there are no sewers: The toilet cleaners of Lucknow, India - by: muhammadwaseem June 25, 2018Dear Mr. Mughal, Thank you for your informative post. I would agree and disagree with you. In Pakistan, the job of manholes cleaning and pit cleaning is done, as you rightly note, by the dalitis. The dalitis are NOT Muslims. The local name of dalitis is "bhangies." I think, this local name is also used in India. As is the culture here, these daliti […]
- Where there are no sewers: The toilet cleaners of Lucknow, India - by: muhammadwaseem June 25, 2018Dear Elisabeth, My answers to your question/comments. Is a "daliti" same as a "dalit"? If they are not Muslims what religious group do they belong to? Hindus? There is no such word Dalit or Dalitis used in Pakistan (maybe in Karachi or some part of Sindh - because there are few hindu communities in the cities and villages). Dalit, meaning […]
- Sanitation and health evidence: request for input into a consensus meeting - by: arno June 25, 2018An excellent review by colleagues at Tufts. They reviewed some 15,000 relevant documents. Yates et al. 2018. Water, sanitation, and hygiene interventions in outbreak response: a synthesis of evidence. Waterlines 37(1):5-30. Practical Action Publishing. www.developmentbookshelf.com/doi/pdf/10....5OR5R,GWCQAS,M4SV2,1 From the paper: "We found that WASH in […]
- INTRODUCING NEW GROUP TAP HAND WASHING FACILITY FIT FOR SCHOOLS - by: muench June 25, 2018Dear Kennedy, Thanks for this information and the nice photos. My questions: - I couldn't quite figure out how the soap is dispensed? - Also I couldn't see the openings in the water pipe for each students? Are they just small holes in the pipes? - How much does your device cost? - What funding source did you have to set up the installation that is […]
- Where there are no sewers: The toilet cleaners of Lucknow, India - by: muhammadwaseem June 25, 2018