Progress on CLTSH – Findings from a national review of rural sanitation in Ethiopia: WASH Learning Note. December 2016.
- Rural sanitation coverage in Ethiopia continues to improve. The survey found on average 68% latrine usage, similar to the 2015 JMP estimate
- The majority (89%) of household toilets are unimproved
- There are strong regional disparities in coverage. 5 regions have over 50%, whilst in 3 regions open defecation is still dominant
- CLTSH is not always implemented as intended. There are regional variations and some aspects of the triggering and follow-up are omitted
- The Post-ODF follow-up of the CLTSH approach is limited. Very few communites are recorded as having reached ’level 2’ of ODF
- Handwashing Rates are low. Only 19% of respondents were found to wash hands at all critical times, and only 45% after using the toilet