New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Sanitation Taboos - by: sbudge2017 January 17, 2018This is interesting, thank you. I am not focusing however on toilet provision as such - more the environment where the infant plays and eats and contamination. But then I would agree that it is likely that having a flush toilet might mean proper disposal of child faeces and perhaps improved sanitation behaviour as a whole.
- Online Course for Faecal Sludge Management | free | enrolling now | starting 1 February 2018 - by: aimeesmith January 17, 2018Hello Daniel and Sawabon So great to hear that you are interested in the course. I am sure you find it very beneficial. The more people knowledgeable about FSM the better! Thank you for signing up - we are happy to have you on-board!
- Online Course for Faecal Sludge Management | free | enrolling now | starting 1 February 2018 - by: Sabawon125 January 17, 2018Dear Sir/Madam, Thank you for sharing this great news! My Name is Sabawoon Sherzad and working in the Capacity of WASH Program Manager with SSDA Afghanistan. I was really eager to start this course. With kind regards, Sabawoon Afghanistan
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: bowenarrow January 16, 2018Morning Philippe. The question of the need for treatment of effluent becomes much more reduced if urine is diverted at the source. This means that the valuable urine can be collected as a raw material requiring no separation at a treatment plant. I agree that treatment plants require a large area of land and the primary reason for this is the mixing of urine […]
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: phreymon January 16, 2018Dear Bodgan, Difficult to say from the distance if it is realistic. It depends so much on the community and local context. What would be interesting as a first step is to estimate the quantities and characteristics of wastewater to be produced. This would help define the most appropriate technical options as well as the feasibility of the whole concept. If p […]
- Sanitation Taboos - by: sbudge2017 January 17, 2018