This issue contains some of the latest news and announcements about the role of entrepreneurs in providing water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) and household energy products and services. This includes several winners of the Social Entrepreneurs 2012 award by the Schwab Foundation and USAID support for commercializing hand washing and establishing markets for cookstoves in Haiti. Also included is a link to cookstove market assessments by the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, which provide suggestions for removing barriers that prevent the creation of a cookstove market for more than 20 countries.
What type of content is most useful for you?
- Information required on Toilets based on evapotranspiration technology - by: canaday October 23, 2017Dear Shrikant, It is interesting to see new systems, but this one makes no sense to me. Just the investment in the digging, the plastic liner, the gravel and the sand seem impractical and too expensive. Also the pipes to the surface would emit terrible odors. Why does the drawing mention biogas, when there is no mechanism to capture it? Have any of these bee […]
- SuSanA Webinar: Update from the JMP team monitoring WASH progress towards SDG 6 - by: eshaylor October 23, 2017In July the WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (JMP) published its 2017 update which established baseline estimates for the new SDG global indicators and includes a wealth of new information on inequalities in service levels. This webinar will include a presentation of the main findings of the 2017 update followed […]
- When you hear the term "dry toilet" or "dry sanitation": does that include a pit latrine in your mind or not? - by: muench October 23, 2017That's a good suggestion in my opinion... I agree with you about striking "dry sanitation" and "dry toilet" from our vocabulary. What do others think? It would only work if we reached a consensus on this. One method that can help to cement a consensus that we have reached is to get the Wikipedia articles about dry toilet and dry sani […]
- Information required on Toilets based on evapotranspiration technology - by: shrikant October 23, 2017Hello everyone ! Recently I came across a design of toilet being tried out in Uttar Pradesh, India which is supposed to be based on Evapotranspiration technology. As per my knowledge this technology is basically suggested for the secondary treatment of septic tank effluent. However the toilet under reference has a design where the fresh excreta are directed […]
- When you hear the term "dry toilet" or "dry sanitation": does that include a pit latrine in your mind or not? - by: hajo October 23, 2017Hi all, I agree that ‘dry sanitation’ does not make much sense and should probably be scrapped from our vocabulary. I also agree that ‘toilets without flush’ can be a ‘main group’ with ‘subgroups’ of 1) de-hydrating toilets (dry excreta management), 2) composting toilets, and 3) pit latrines, ... what else?. Because Dean indicated that there can be de-hydrat […]
- Information required on Toilets based on evapotranspiration technology - by: canaday October 23, 2017