This issue contains some of the latest news and announcements about the role of entrepreneurs in providing water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) and household energy products and services. This includes several winners of the Social Entrepreneurs 2012 award by the Schwab Foundation and USAID support for commercializing hand washing and establishing markets for cookstoves in Haiti. Also included is a link to cookstove market assessments by the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, which provide suggestions for removing barriers that prevent the creation of a cookstove market for more than 20 countries.
- Two Types of Wastewater Conveyance Systems - by: F H Mughal January 21, 2018I agree. The key to the open drains' success is their daily cleaning in the morning. The sweeper is stationed in the community. This means that, if there is some problem, the sweeper is called who attends to the problem, which is of course, cleaning. There is no problem in the gradients, and the sewage flows freely under gravity. That system in towns co […]
- Online Course for Faecal Sludge Management | free | enrolling now | starting 1 February 2018 - by: chindo January 21, 2018Will there be video clips for this course for better understanding
- Two Types of Wastewater Conveyance Systems - by: JKMakowka January 21, 2018These kind of open drains you can find in many countries, although often they are "upgraded" with concrete covers. However I have rarely seen them being maintained as well as you describe it, and often they are build with insufficient slope to drain properly (i.e. they just follow the road level). Thus they usually quickly become filled with rottin […]
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: phreymon January 20, 2018Hi Dean, You make me (us) very curious about the potential of vermifilters. I have the following questions: (i) it is just a filter: how does it deal with 100 L wastewater per person per day? And how can the pathogens and nutrients be retained?; (ii) what do you do with the effluent? In my understanding, the pathogen removal is rather low; (iii) I think that […]
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: BPopov January 20, 2018Thanks Dean! Ukraine is a huge country with highly variable climate and other condtions. High ground water level is very common in many places both for natural and anthropogenic reasons. The water table gets highest level usually in spring after snow melt and in autumn after rains. In some places it drops down a in the middle of the winter , in some places i […]
- Two Types of Wastewater Conveyance Systems - by: F H Mughal January 21, 2018