The Briefing Note “Mapping EU Support for Sanitation in Africa”, published by the EU Water Initiative (EUWI) Africa Working Group, is based on a full study by WEDC in association with Hydroconseil. The purpose of the study is to obtain an overview of the status of the involvement of EU Member States and the European Commission in sanitation-related activities in Africa. It is anticipated that the findings of this work will have the potential to be used for both arguing for greater priority for sanitation within the international architecture and also for individual donors to use in discussing their own Official Development Assistance (ODA).
- Ventilation of pits for toilet blocks - by: goeco November 21, 2017Hi Philippe, have you considered a small solar extraction fan in the ventilation pipe to ensure there is always a vacuum through the latrines? It shouldn't take much to create sufficient negative pressure so the smell doesn't escape outwards into the latrine. cheers Dean
- Evapotranspiration Toilet with a difference from India - by: rajivkr November 20, 2017Thanks Nitya. The evapotranspiration toilet being built by Marta and Pawan seemed interesting. The data that you have put together with Marta and Pawan, in the attachment makes the storyline more robust and the technology an interesting option for places with high water table...well up to a point Shrikant Navrekar and others had a brief discussion about this […]
- Strauch (1991) 'Pathogen Safety Zone Graph' - by: evemackinnon7 November 20, 2017Thanks Rajiv for the link. I had tried to search for this and not found it - so much appreciated! It is interesting because it succinently collates the separate graphs of Feacham et al (1983) in to one paper. Is this safety zone still the go reference for optimum treatment parameters - especially for composting - in time and temperature. As kris, shared the […]
- What is the difference between (sanitation) marketing? and market based approach (for sanitation programmes)? - And translation to French? - by: cecile November 20, 2017Dear all, Thank you for all your answers. I think we have now quite a comprehensive understanding of the differences between sanitation marketing and market based approach. Market based approach (l'approche axée sur le marché) looks at market development and involves a wide range of players and actions as explained by John in his post. For example, work […]
- Ventilation of pits for toilet blocks - by: phreymon November 20, 2017Dear all, I am currently looking at the design of school toilet blocks in Tajikistan. Ventilation is a general problem in the visited school latrines, even in the new ones. The common design (from Soviet times) is a number of drop holes (usually around 10 - 5 for boys and 5 for girls) over a single huge holding tank. At best, there is one or two ventilation […]
- Ventilation of pits for toilet blocks - by: goeco November 21, 2017