The Foundation believes that community engagement is essential to ensure sustainable access to improved sanitation and that community led total sanitation, or CLTS is the most effective approach to realise this (Boorstin refers to a 2011 WSP report supporting this).
- Regular septic tanks vs Biodigester septic tanks - by: bachmanna January 19, 2018While their are some designs on this website ... this site is incomplete and a lot of sections have just filler text. Is this website still in construction?
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: phreymon January 18, 2018Dear Bogdan, dear Dean, I would prefer simplified sewer systems not because of costs, but because they are in my view less vulnerable than solid-free sewer systems. Indeed, with the latter, you have to rely on compliance and good behaviour from all the users. If one household does not maintain properly his septic tank/interceptor, or if the design is not goo […]
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: BPopov January 18, 2018Decentral wrote: The reuse of treated water is a viable alternative in arid and warm climates, but in Europe it is possible for a few months in a year, so is a problem as well, which needs to be considered. You are aware that the water quality requirements for irrigation purposes and for discharge are different, the last are much more stringent. Dear Roumian […]
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: Decentral January 18, 2018Dear all, I enter this discussion at a later stage and in general I agree with the first comment of Philippe. Decentralized wastewater systems are a common case in many small population centres and villages in Europe, especially on-site sanitation. However, such solutions are a real problem in areas with high water table or very small plots. Therefore, the c […]
- any interest in new technologies?(specially imported one) - by: Ecowaters January 18, 2018Thanks. My question is what is Thammarat's "hydrocyclone" system? I know a lot of prototype technologies were created in response to the Gates Foundation funding, despite those technologies already being in existence on the market or not appropriate for the target context (impoverished villages). I used to sell Aquatron and still own the centr […]
- Regular septic tanks vs Biodigester septic tanks - by: bachmanna January 19, 2018