SPLASH, the ERA-NET of the European Water Initiative will launch a research call on 1st March, 2010. The overall call budget will be approx. 1.7 Mio Euro. The call will be funded by the following donors:
- Austria Development Cooperation (ADC), Austria
- Department for International Development (DFID), United Kingdom
- Ministère des Affaires Étrangères et Européenes (MAEE), France
- Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), Sweden
- Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), Switzerland
In Sub-Saharan Africa, the rates of urbanization have generally exceeded the capacities of national and local governments to plan and manage sanitation systems in an efficient, equitable and sustainable way. Improving sanitation services to the urban poor is an urgent priority that will have major positive impacts on human health and dignity, economic productivity and the environment. Research is required to support these efforts.
The major objective of the SPLASH research call is to contribute to the understanding and implementation at scale of sustainable sanitation service chains in low-income urban areas in Sub-Saharan Africa.
More information – http://www.splash-era.net/sanitation-call/index.php