Sanitation Updates’ favourite to win the 2012 Golden Poo Award for best short film has to be Bum Bay. Set to the tune of the 1969 Indo-pop hit “Bombay Meri Hai” – transformed to “Bum Bay Meri Hai” – we see a mock tourist promotion film interspersed with explicit scenes of male open defecation.
- Donate to end open defecation in deprived communities - by: F H Mughal March 24, 2018I hope, the international donor agencies will take a notice of your request. Meanwhile, I suggest that you write to them, and send photos to them, showing the current state of affairs. F H Mughal
- Importance of Wastewater Reuse - by: F H Mughal March 24, 2018Importance of Wastewater Reuse Colombo-based CGIAR Research Program on Water, Land and Ecosystems and International Water Management Institute has produced an 8pp paper on Wastewater Reuse in Numbers. As a scene setter, the report says: “Rapid urbanization in the developing world is pushing up demand for water and food, while also generating ever larger volu […]
- WaterAid Report: Out of Order - The State of the World’s Toilets 2017 - by: F H Mughal March 24, 2018Out of Order - The State of the World’s Toilets 2017 WaterAid recently (Nov 2017) has produced a very absorbing and stimulating short (28pp) report, titled: Out of Order - The State of the World’s Toilets 2017. Typically, when a report has a title that starts with “The State of the . . .,” it is assumed that it would a large report. But, this is a short inte […]
- Vaporizing toilet claims - by: DianeKellogg March 24, 2018Can anyone tell us more about this container-based toilet, as written up in the Daily Beast? www.thedailybeast.com/how-a-toilet-that-...rce=articles&via=rss The article doesn't mention price and doesn't mention how often one might need to remove the pouch of vaporized material (it says 5% of the excrement remains after vaporizing 95%). Sounds t […]
- Encouraging Progress on Sanitation in Korea and Malaysia - by: F H Mughal March 24, 2018Encouraging Progress on Sanitation in Korea and Malaysia A blog of the Asian Development Bank Institute ( www.asiapathways-adbi.org/2018/01/what-c...ts-economic-impacts/ ) gives tips on how Korea and Malaysia improved their sanitation. Korea "In Korea, policies were developed and implemented effectively. For example, the Sewerage Law (1966) was introduc […]
- Donate to end open defecation in deprived communities - by: F H Mughal March 24, 2018