It was an unforgettable moment for 300 women who used to work as manual scavengers as they entered the precincts of Parliament to get an experience of the Lok Sabha [Lower House] on Tuesday [16 August 2010] for the first time.
Treated as “untouchables” and ostracised by society for the nature of their work for decades, the women belong to a class of workers who used to manually clean human excreta.
The 300 women, who hailed from Alwar and Tonk districts of Rajasthan, have stopped working as manual scavengers now. They were received by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar as special guests.
- 8th World Water Forum in Brasilia, Brazil - by: secretariat March 19, 2018Dear all, Below you can find information of all sanitation sessions, such as topic, place and time, which take place during the 8th World Water Forum in Brasilia. Thematic process Tuesday, March 20th, 2:30 – 4:00 pm, Room 23 [OS-TP-16] Session 2.b.1 - Realizing the human right to sanitation DESCRIPTION In 2010, there was consensus at the Human Rights Council […]
- 8th Emergency Environmental Health Forum in Berlin, anyone going? - by: eshaylor March 19, 2018Hi, Yes we are planning a WG8 meeting but it will most likely be an informal catchup in a local bar or restaurant. Details will be mailed out on the WG8 mailing list and we will set up a post here on the forum to keep anyone who is interested updated. Regards Esther
- Vermi-Trickling Filters (or vermifilters) for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: BPopov March 19, 2018Hi Ben! Thanks for sharing! Maybe I didn't properly understand the construction of the the reservoir. Do you mean you create an aerated basket inside the tote made of plastic lattice and then have some kind of ventilated fabric taped to it? "To create the reservoir, I use 2” foam billets pinned with stainless steel nails to a piece of polyethylene […]
- Low cost secondary treatment of household wastewater using vermifiltration - by: JKMakowka March 19, 2018Looks interesting. But where do the worms come into play and is there still sufficient food for them after the primary vermifilter and the settling tanks? It seems to me that it might work just as well without them?
- The sanitation and urban agriculture nexus: urine collection and application as fertilizer in São Paulo, Brazil - by: marianacchrispim March 19, 2018Dear Elisabeth, Thank you very much for your feedback about my post. I agree that there are some challenges such as the urine storage, transport and reuse. In this case (mentioned in the paper) we evaluated the urine collection from one waterless urinal which was installed in the context of a university campus, but there was not the urine storage. However in […]
- 8th World Water Forum in Brasilia, Brazil - by: secretariat March 19, 2018