In Madagascar’s capital Antananarivo (Tana), water bills include various surcharges designed to help finance water and sanitation. In recent years, Water & Sanitation for the Urban Poor (WSUP) has been working with local government and with the utility JIRAMA to optimise the use of these revenues to support water supply improvements in low-income communities. This brief describes how this interesting system works, and considers how it might be further developed.
- Safety in Sanitation - by: F H Mughal November 23, 2017Sewer Line Repairs Claim Life It is fairly common in poor developing countries with low technical excellence in sanitation, to find a sanitary worker killed while working in a sewer line. When this happens in a country like U.S., it is unbelievable. A worker was sent down in a 20- or 24-inch diameter sewer pipe (this is narrow size; how can a sanitation work […]
- Myths in Urban Sanitation - by: F H Mughal November 23, 2017Dear Elisabeth, Yes, your point in first para. You are responding after 2.5 months - just wondering! Regards, F H Mughal
- Myths in Urban Sanitation - by: muench November 23, 2017Dear Mughal, I am wondering what you meant with "no link to Asia"? Do you mean because the footage used in the video is more from African countries? Or would you argue that some of the 7 myths are not at all applicable to Asian countries? If yes, which ones in particular? Regards, Elisabeth
- menstrual cups, MHM work at PATH - by: cecile November 23, 2017Dear Elizabeth, Thank you for this reply. I will forward the information to this NGO in DRC. I am afraid there might be a language barrier with the suppliers. But let's see if they are able to push through. Best regards, Cécile
- SpaTap Portable Tap Instantly Transforming Access to water in Rural Schools Used for Handwashing Hygiene - by: muench November 22, 2017Looks interesting! How does your "humanitarian arm" work? I gather you are a small company in Australia. Your product normally costs 25 A$. Not much for an Australian but a lot for e.g. a village person in Rwanda. How does the "donate" button on your website work? Have you been successful in partnering with any of the international NGOs o […]
- Safety in Sanitation - by: F H Mughal November 23, 2017