Below is a link to a presentation by Malva Rosa Baskovich, Coordinator – Creating Sanitation Markets Initiative, Water and Sanitation Program Latin America. Webpage of the initiative: http://www.perusan.org
Presentation – WSP – Creating Sanitation Markets (pdf, 2.5MB)
People’s choice depends on:
- A private family decision that takes into account community perceptions and in which children have a great influence on it.
- A complementary prior or parallel public investments in water & sewerage networks and / or on-site sanitation systems.
- Prioritization of sanitation investment as a result of its link with quality housing , through their peers influence.
- Access to affordable sanitation product that response to their needs and expectations
Scaling up challenges to face:
- Self-construction and the service quality.
- The development of financial mechanisms for the poorest that does not put at risk the market development.
- Articulated information system. All partners should be able to provide right information or to refer people to the adequate provider.
- Sustainable guarantee and post-sale system. Educational component in use and maintenance and credit cultural is a critical issue