Which technical options are available for the reuse of faecal sludge? Report of a VIA Water webinar led by Jan Spit.
Report on the webinar: read the questions that were asked before and during the webinar, and Jan Spit’s answers to them:
- I would be interested to look into economic and policy part of this treatment process.
This is a very general question. On anaerobic digestion, an interesting approach has been published on the economic aspects: “Feasibility assessment tool for urban anaerobic digestion in developing countries”, see: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301479713002727
As far as the policy part is concerned, read for instance: “Institutional Frameworks for Faecal Sludge Management” in “Faecal Sludge Management Systems Approach for Implementation and Operation”, see: http://www.unesco-ihe.org/sites/default/files/fsm_book_lr.pdf
- Application to slum areas (together with simplified sewerage systems).
As far as simplified sewerage is concerned, see: http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/1994/05/439130/simplified-sewerage-design-guidelines and: http://www.sswm.info/content/simplified-and-condominal-sewers
- Can you tell me some opportunities (tenders/call for proposals/donors) to finance septage treatment facilities (mainly the construction of septage treatment plant and the reuse of sludge (energy/biogas) and dry bio-solid as a fertilizer?
Some funding opportunities in the Netherlands are:
- D2B: http://english.rvo.nl/subsidies-programmes/develop2build-d2b
- DRIVE: http://english.rvo.nl/subsidies-programmes/development-related-infrastructure-investment-vehicle-drive
In Germany: KfW: https://www.kfw.de/International-financing/. For innovative funding, look at: http://www.traidwheel.nl/appropriate-finance/Innovative-financing-mechanisms